August 27, 2009

peachy keen

Success! Since I am sure the last 24 hours have been BREATHLESS WITH ANTICIPATION for you since my last post, I am ecstatic to be able to put you at ease. For your information, Los Angeles has reclaimed its rightful place as GODAWFUL HOTTEST PLACE ON THE PLANET (ie West Coast), usurping Portland and Seattle in their underdog race for the throne. As I write this, it is 99 degrees outside my little air-conditioned office. It's not even the hottest part of the day yet. The weather.com widget says it feels like 94 degrees, but that is more wrong than sticky melted ice cream all over a new pair of skinny jeans. I've been outside a couple times today, and it feels like it is warmer outside my body than it is inside. This is a mistake.
Ok, let's get down to business. It has been hot, which is bad for humankind but excellent for fruits!! So I meandered on over to the Eagle Rock Farmer's Market and bought some fresh local peaches for my next project. (side note of preachy locavorism: local food is better for you, and better for the planet. the less it travels to get to you, the less carbon emissions it creates, and the more nutrients and flavor are intact when it gets to your plate. It is also cheaper to eat local, contrary to popular belief. Find a market or CSA near you!)
THE RECIPE:
2 c Ripe peaches; finely chopped (for me this was two medium-size peaches. mostly just put in as much as you want to eat, keeping in mind the capacity of your ice cream maker.)
2 lg Eggs
1 1/4 c Sugar
2 c Heavy or whipping cream
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
1 c Milk (I use 2% because i am in a constant struggle to maintain and or/gain weight. i don't drink milk, but when it's in ice cream all is forgiven.)
Start by chopping the peaches, and combining with 1/2 cup of sugar and lemon juice. Like so:
Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, or however long you can stand it before you want ice cream. For me this was more like an hour, and it turned fine. The sweeter you want it, the longer you should leave it in the fridge.
After chilling, pour the syrup from the bowl into a seperate bowl. Like so:

Into the bowl with syrup go the cream and milk. In another small bowl, whisk the eggs until fluffy, and add the remaining sugar a little at a time until completely mixed. Then add the egg mixture to the dairy/syrup mixture, and pour into ice cream maker.
Run the ice cream maker for about 25 minutes
Right before the ice cream is as thick as you want it, add the peaches. Let the machine run for five or so more minutes, until desired thickness is reached.
I realized I hadn't yet taken a picture of the machine IN MOTION, so here is what it looks like about three minutes before being done.
This looks like it was right before I added the peaches. It gets a little thicker than this. I like my ice cream super soft. If you don't, let it run a little longer or stick it in the freezer when it's done, for another fifteen minutes or so. I personally do not tend to wait for things. I like to eat.
And so do Laura and Jeff.
This weekend, look out for a fresh RASPBERRY recipe!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment