August 30, 2009

Raze-berry


Fires: still raging in the hills across the freeway from my house. Air quality: awful. Temperature: near or at 100 for a week. Ice cream activities: NOT DETERRED.
This Friday I returned to the Eagle Rock farmer's market, this time to pick up a pint of raspberries for our recipe. I had help this time from both housemate Lani (most often seen modeling ice cream eating at the end of these entries) AND the lovely Ella. Here is Ella mixing some eggs and sugar.
For other ingredrients used, as well as for the recipe, reference my last entry, about peach ice cream. I made the same sweet cream base as I did in that recipe. The only difference is that for the raspberry, we mashed the berries and mixed them in with the cream base, putting it all into the ice cream maker at the same time. If you recall from the peach recipe, I put in the peach pieces at the last minute, so they didn't get too frozen.
The raspberry mash worked really well, but it would also work to leave bigger fruit pieces. To do that, simply put the raspberries back into the fridge to chill, after adding the sugar/lemon/berry marinade to the cream mixture. Then add the raspberries, in pieces as big as you'd like, to the ice cream maker about three minutes before it's the consistency you want (ie, about 25-30 minutes into the makin'.)
It melted the SECOND it hit the stagnant, burning air, but it was delicious nonetheles. It was a really pretty pink color, and it was slightly more tart than the peach flavor. Sour/tart is my favorite flavor.
Keep it cool, kids. I think next will be root beer flavor, so hang on to your flame-retardent knickers!

No comments:

Post a Comment